New or Gray looking Decks/Wood
When cleaning Wood or Decks, use the Restore-A-Deck Kit. This will open the pores and remove any graying and or dirt. This is important even for new wood. New wood has a mill glaze that should be removed prior to any stain application. For removal of old stain see Wood Stain Strippers.
- Wet deck down thoroughly with water. Take extra care to pre-rinse vegetation.
- Apply the Step 1from the Restore-A-Deck Kit following manufacturer's directions. Most cleaners can be applied with a pump-up sprayer. The cleaner should dwell on the wood for 5-15 minutes. Make sure that you mist the deck with water if it starts to dry. Use protective clothing, glasses, and gloves.
- Pressure Wash or Hand Scrub the wood to remove dirt, graying, mold, mildew. If there is a previous coating and it starts to come off unevenly, then you may want to consider using a Wood Stain Stripper. This will ensure a more even appearance when stained.
- When done washing take time to rinse all wood, home, vegetation, etc to remove the cleaner residue, grime, and wood fibers.
- Use Step 2 from the Restore-A-Deck Kit to "brighten" the wood and neutralize the cleaner back to the proper pH balance for the wood. This should dwell on the wood for 5-15 minutes. Once done make sure to rinse the wood, home, vegetation, etc.
- Wood should dry for 48 hours prior to applying a TWP Stain.
*Make sure that you follow all manufacturers instructions